Dr Yapp an expert in climate finance, agriculture and forestry and is an Acclimatise Associate.
Dr Jason Yapp is a specialist in climate finance, climate friendly agriculture, sustainable forest and land management, renewable energy, energy efficiency, private sector and green economy development. He has provided consultancy services for UNDP, EU Commission, WB, GIZ, UNEP, Commonwealth Secretariat and Asian Development Bank for climate adaptation and mitigation solutions in Africa, Asia and Caribbean.
As the Coordinator for Commonwealth Climate Finance Access Hub Dr Yapp has expertise in supporting Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and LDCs in the Caribbean, Pacific and Indian Oceans regions to access the climate finance to scale up climate resilience and mitigation programmes to achieving their Sustainable Development Goals.
A Certified Trainer of GIZ’s CF Toolkits and Green Climate Fund Readiness Expert for the UNDP/UNEP/WRI and GIZ project team, Dr Yapp has developed the GCF Readiness Plan for Ghana, Philippines and Bangladesh to support the entity as National Designated Authority to liase with GCF and support the National Implementing Entities for meeting fiduciary standards and Environmental and Social Safeguards to access GCF resources and developed pipeline of bankable projects for GCF submission.
Dr Yapp has also served as a Project Identification and Formulation Specialist for various GEF-UNDP projects in Asia and Africa; and as Private Sector Development Specialist for the Asian Development Bank’s Bioenergy project.
His areas of expertise include:
- Enhancing the capacities of governments through South-South cooperation to integrate climate change into national plan and budgets;
- Creating the right incentives and enabling environment to leverage private sector resources;
- Assessing local and country needs using participatory approach; developing location-specific feasibility studies, including local resource assessments (biomass, water, inputs);
- Conducting value chain analysis for financing products and services;
- Conducting financial and technology due diligence (TDD) on low carbon technology; and
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment.