By UNDP Climate Change Adaptation
Developing and least developed countries are highly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Many of the world’s poor rely on agriculture and natural resources for food security and income, but climate change puts as many as 75% of them at grave risk. Making agricultural practices climate resilient and sustainable is therefor a high priority in many regions of the world. In 2010, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) established the National Adapation Plan (NAP) process to help identify adaptation needs for different time horizons and encourage the development of strategies to address those needs. Given the high climate sensitivity of the agricultural sector, it features prominently in most NAPs.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) coordinate the Integrating Agriculture into National Adaptation Plans (NAP-Ag) programme which aims to “integrate climate change adaptation concerns related to agriculture-based livelihoods into the existing national planning and budgeting processes of eleven developing countries and LDCs“. It also contributes to achieving partner countries’ Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
The NAP-Ag webinar on The Role of Climate Information Services in Adaptation Planning for Agriculture provided insights into the role of Climate Information Services (CIS) in planning for adaptation in agricultural sectors. Country case studies and extended exploration of best practices created a strong learning environment for country-to-country exchange on institutional arrangements, and gaps in Climate Information Services for the implementation and formulation of National Adaptation Plans. This webinar is a follow up to the March 2017 peer-to-peer exchange on “Effective Climate Information Services for Agriculture in ASEAN.”
Presentations and Session Recordings
- Institutional Framework for Planning and Provision of Climate Information Services by Beau Damen, Climate Change Officer, FAO
- Integration of Indicators on Agriculture-related Damage and Losses by Rajesh Sharma, Programme Specialist (Global), Disaster Risk Information and Application, UNDP
- Overview of Climate Information Services for National Adaptation Plans by Mark Tadross, Climate Information and Early Warning System Specialist, UNDP
- Programme on Climate Information for Resilient Development in Africa by Joost Hoedjes, Programme on Climate Information for Resilient Development in Africa (CIRDA), UNDP
- Climate Information Services for NAPs in Thailand by Lenkate Saenghkaew
- National Adaptation Plan Zambia Country Experience by Eric Chipeta
Learn More: Webinar Series Overview